Thunder Bay, Ontario Ebook 1 (Port Arthur Ebook 1), in Color Pictures: Saving Our Historical past One Photograph at a Time (Cruising Ontario) (Quantity 73)
(as of [price_update_date] – Particulars)
The Metropolis of Thunder Bay has three histories. The dual cities of Fort William and Port Arthur had been amalgamated in 1970. Thunder Bay’s previous is linked with the parallel however separate pasts of the 2 cities.Port Arthur was a metropolis in Northern Ontario which amalgamated with Fort William and the townships of Neebing and McIntyre to type town of Thunder Bay in January 1970.Thunder Bay is situated on Lake Superior. European settlement within the area started within the late seventeenth century with a French fur buying and selling outpost on the banks of the Kaministiquia River. It grew into an essential transportation hub with its port forming an essential hyperlink within the transport of grain and different merchandise from western Canada, by way of the Nice Lakes and the Saint Lawrence Seaway, to the east coast. Forestry and manufacturing performed essential roles within the metropolis’s financial system.Town takes its identify from the immense Thunder Bay on the head of Lake Superior, identified on eighteenth-century French maps as Baie du Tonnerre (Bay of Thunder). Town is sometimes called the “Lakehead” due to its location on the finish of Nice Lakes navigation on the Canadian aspect of the border.European settlement at Thunder Bay started with two French fur buying and selling posts (1683, 1717) which had been subsequently deserted. In 1803, the Montreal-based North West Firm established Fort William as its mid-continent submit. The fort thrived till 1821 when the North West Firm merged with the Hudson’s Bay Firm and Fort William was now not wanted.By the 1850s, the Province of Canada started to take an curiosity in its western extremity. Discovery of copper in Michigan prompted a Canadian nationwide demand for mining places on the Canadian shores of Lake Superior. One other settlement developed a number of miles to the north of Fort William with it will definitely being known as Port Arthur.With Confederation in 1867, Simon James Dawson was employed to assemble a street and route from Thunder Bay on Lake Superior to the Crimson River Colony. The depot on the lake, the place provides had been landed and saved acquired its first identify in Might 1870. It was named Prince Arthur’s Touchdown in honour of Prince Arthur, son of Queen Victoria who was serving together with his regiment in Montreal.The arrival of the CPR in 1875 sparked an extended rivalry between the cities, which didn’t finish till the amalgamation of 1970. Till the Eighties, Port Arthur was a a lot bigger and dynamic neighborhood. The CPR, in collaboration with the Hudson’s Bay Firm, most popular east Fort William, situated on the decrease Kaministiquia River the place the fur commerce posts had been.Prospering from the CPR railway development growth of 1882–1885, Port Arthur was included as a city in March 1884, one 12 months after buying its new identify. The CPR erected Thunder Bay’s and western Canada’s first terminal grain elevator on the bay in 1883. The tip of CPR development alongside the north shore of Lake Superior and the CPR’s choice to centralize its operations alongside the decrease Kaministiquia River introduced an finish to Port Arthur’s prosperity. Silver mining had been the mainstay of the financial system for many of the 1870s. The silver mining growth of the Eighties got here to an finish with the passage by the U.S. Congress of the McKinley Tariff in October 1890. The city was in dire financial straits till 1897–1899 when the entrepreneurs William Mackenzie and Donald Mann acquired the Ontario and Wet River Railway and the Port Arthur, Duluth and Western Railway, and selected Port Arthur because the Lake Superior headquarters for the Canadian Northern Railway. Port Arthur thrived as a trans-shipment and grain dealing with port for the CNR after the railway line was opened to Winnipeg in December 1901.